For more than 50 years in a partnership of service, the Women of St Mark’s have supported various agencies and services for the needy in our community and church wide. The list changes regularly as we learn of new needs. This year we have chosen to support the following:
• Angel Tree
• Caring Neighbor – Problem solves for the elderly. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Christie’s Place – Haven for women/families with HIV/AIDS.
• Home of Guiding Hands Foundation – Assists the disabled.
• Lutheran Border Concerns Ministry – Across our border, assists the needy.
• Braille- Lutheran Braille Workers Inc. – Provides Braille and large print materials to the blind and vision impaired.
• Nature CenterLutheran Social Services – Provides support for the most vulnerable
• Lutheran World Relief – Engages in international relief.
• – Nature Center of Chula Vista
• Navajo – Navajo Evangelical Lutheran Mission – Assists the Navajo people.
• Blind – Peace Center for the Blind, Jerusalem – Assists the blind in Jerusalem.
• Prayer Quilt Ministry – A gift of a quilt, provides prayers of comfort.
• Project Hand – Provides food for the needy.
• Quilt Ministry – Sends quilts world wide where needed.
• St. Mark’s Box Ministry (boxes for armed forces)
• St. Mark’s Music Dept. and Youth program
• Vet Home CV – Veterans Home of California / Chula Vista – Provides care to veterans.
• Vets Village – Veterans Village
• Winner’s Circle Equestrian Therapy – Provides therapeutic riding for children and adults diagnosed with mental, physical or emotional disabilities.
Our women are involved in collecting things to help different people, most of them are coordinated by the “Thursday Quilters” who meet every Thursday at 9 AM – 11:30 AM in the quilt room located on I Street.
We collect used postage stamps which are used by challenged citizens who are employed to separate the stamps from the torn envelopes, clean them up, dry them and package them for stamp collectors around the world. The profits aid the blind.
We collect used eye glasses, cell phones and hearing aide which are readied for use and distributed by the Bonita Lion’s Club to those in need in the community.
We also collect Campbell soup UPC/Bar Codes and “box tops for
education” which are donated to Navajo Evangelical Lutheran Mission. The UPCs help get big vans for transporting the students to and from school and used for emergencies. The box tops help with school needs.
Pull tabs go to San Diego’s Ronald MacDonald House. They are recycled to help to support their programs for families with a child in the hospital.
and hand-made baby booties which are donated to Scripps Mercy ChulaVista.
We also sew over 100 quilts per year to donate to Lutheran World Relief as part of the St. Mark’s Quilting Ministries.